Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A New Perspective...

I am sure that some of you know that we have our struggles with Connie from time to time. We have been blessed with several good weeks lately, almost so that we might have forgotten how bad it can be sometimes. Well, this week has been really tough with her. I find that when I am stressed about being a mom and always doing the right thing, I go to the internet and read other mom's blogs. I follow many blogs here (too many probably). Today I realize that everything really must be kept in perspective. There is always someone else fighting a bigger battle than we are fighting.

This was written by a mom with her daughter at home on hospice care…

"Towards the end of a pregnancy, a mother will wake up to go to the bathroom every few hours. I think this is the body’s way of preparing you for a newborn and the sleepless nights that come along with it. Layla now spends most of her days sleeping. 30-45 minutes after she wakes up, she is ready to lay down and sleep again. Is this God’s way of preparing me for all the quiet time that is coming soon? The house is quiet. I am able to go through the motions of laundry, dishes, cooking and picking up without interruptions. But I WANT interruptions. I WANT Layla to be under my feet asking for cookies. I WANT to hear her playing with her toys. I WANT to take 45 minutes to unload the dishwasher because she keeps trying to help. For every time I uttered the words “I just can’t get anything done with these kids under my feet all day” I am eternally regretful. The days that I looked forward to naptime so I could get a grocery list made, or finally fold all the piles of laundry…I regret those days too. If I could do it all again, I’d enjoy EVERY SINGLE WAKING MOMENT I had with her. I would never wish for her to sit still or take a nap or go to bed early. I would never look forward to the days when she could sit through an entire episode of Dora silently. I would treasure every second with her."

Ever since Dad passed away, I have been struggling to be sure that I am enjoying the time I have with the important people in my life. When we need patience with each other or one of the kids, we should remember how lucky we are to just have them in our lives for one more day.

I vow to try to remember that we are never promised more than the present and to really take the time to love ALL of the times with my family...even the difficult times.

2 comments:

  1. Im am sorry it has been so rough...but you are right - every stressful situation will pass and someday it will not matter....now matters.
    Bea and I are going to be down that way the last week of July and hope to spend one night with you all....I will let you know when later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sad story...it's just the worst when a child is sick! We can all be grateful that our babies are healthy and remember this story when we are stressed-
    Hang in there...much love to you all.
    ~ The Potter's ~

    ReplyDelete